auDA domain name fee* reduced by $2.50 to $7.50
Melbourne, 17 June 2004 - Effective from 1 August 2004, .au Domain Administration (auDA), the administrator of .au domain names, will reduce the fee it charges for .au domain names from $10.00 to $7.50 – a 25% reduction and a saving of $2.50.
Chris Disspain, CEO of auDA said, "We are delighted to make this reduction which results from increased volumes in .au registrations and prudent management by auDA. It is proof that Australia’s self regulatory system for domain name administration is working well."
"The total fee for a .au domain name is made up of fees charged by auDA, AusRegistry and registrars. For com.au names the retail price currently varies between $60 and $140 depending on the registrar and the services they offer," said Mr Disspain.
"It’s up to individual registrars whether they pass on auDA’s price reduction to consumers. If consumers find that their registrar has not passed on auDA’s cost saving, they may wish to shop around to find another registrar who will," concluded Mr Disspain.
* The auDA domain name fee applies only to asn.au, com.au, id.au, net.au and org.au domain names. It does not apply to csiro.au, edu.au or gov.au domain names.
.au Domain Administration Ltd (auDA) is an Australian not-for-profit company vested with the responsibility of operating the .au domain for the benefit of all stakeholders.
In its role as manager of the .au domain, auDA carries out the following functions:
- develop and implement domain name policy
- license 2LD registry operators
- accredit and license registrars
- implement consumer safeguards
- facilitate .au Dispute Resolution Policy
- represent .au at ICANN and other international fora.
For more information:
Grant Thomas, Account Director
Luke Dean, Account Manager
02 9929 0200