Dear Members and Stakeholders,
Several hours ago auDA created history.
auDA has successfully completed the largest top-level domain name registry change-over project ever.
Why did we do this?
- to improve the security of the .au namespace;
- to lower domain management costs for .au registrants;
- to introduce variable registration and renewal terms for .au domains;
- to improve service levels to .au registrars and their resellers;
- to improve .au domain resolution speeds; and
- to increase funding for marketing and further innovation of the .au namespace.
It was a vast undertaking (commenced in May 2017) to get to this point, and I invite you to join me in acknowledging the people who are responsible for this success:
- auDA’s executive team and advisers – led by Cameron Boardman (CEO), Dr Bruce Tonkin (Project Leader), Peter Mason (Registrar Relationship Manager), Adam King (CTO), PwC (legal), Ernst & Young (risk), KPMG (probity), JAS Global (technical), PPB Advisory (financial), Security Shift (monitoring), David Taylor (EPP testing) and Meyer Rafael (web testing);
- auDA’s loyal registrars (all 42 of them) and their resellers;
- Federal Government agencies that provided deep risk analysis and technical advice – Department of Communications and the Arts (DoCA), Australian Signals Directorate (ASD), Australian Cyber Security Centre (ACSC), and the Digital Transformation Agency (DTA);
- the professional team at Afilias Australia who worked tirelessly to deliver the new technical platform on-spec, on-time, and on-budget; and
- the auDA board members who monitored and guided the project team.
It was a thoroughly professional collaboration which resulted in a seamless transition to the new operator.
I congratulate you all.
Chris Leptos AM
.au Domain Administration Limited